We knew early on this movie season that films such as Slumdog Millionaire and Milk would be sure-thing Best Pic Nominees. But have some of this year's nods left you scratching your head and asking yourself..."WTF?!"
Here are SideReel's Top 10 2009 Oscar WTF nominations and/or general head-scratching moments leading up to this year's show:
1. Wanted for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing - I don't doubt that Wanted had some solid sound editing and mixing; action flicks always do...but any movie featuring a Loom of Destiny should not be able to print "Oscar Nominated" on its DVD Box!
2. Slumdog Millionaire with 2 song nominations - Choose one, Academy, and give Bruce Springsteen's "The Wrestler" (theme song from The Wrestler) its rightful spot on this list. Seriously, where is The Boss?!
3. The Reader for Best Picture - I still haven't seen this one, so I can't comment on how good or not good it actually is, but this one was definitely a surprise pick for Best Picture. Sitting at only 60% on Rotten Tomatoes, bet you all thought The Dark Knight (94%) or Wall-E (96 %) would get that last slot!
4. The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button - This isn't a complaint about a particular nomination, but the fact that Button has emerged as this year's most nominated flick with a staggering 13 nods. Button was a good film, but it was by no means great. Let's start with the fact that it was unnecessarily long. Did I mention that it's nominated for editing too?
5.Amy Adams for Doubt - I adore Amy Adams. That being said, I didn't think she did anything particularly special or memorable with her supporting role in Doubt. She was good, but was she Oscar-nomination worthy?
6. Brad Pitt for Benjamin Button - More on this same theme; Pitt was good in this film, but was he superb? Frankly, I just recall him looking scarily attractive. Leonardo DiCaprio was ten times more memorable in Revolutionary Road - for his acting.
7. Angelina Jolie for Changeling - OMG Brad and Angelina were both nominated...how adorable is that?! Barf. I know people fell into split camps on this performance, but I fall into that "dear God she overacted" group.
8. Gran Torino for...nothing - Any other year, this film surely would have garnered multiple nominations. I really, truly enjoyed it though it was slightly predictable Eastwood fare. I know the competition was strong, but I still think it deserved some form of recognition.
9. Robert Pattinson to present an Oscar - Not nomination related, but I couldn't not mention the fact that Mr. Twilight is an Oscar presenter. I get that they need ratings for the show and that RPatz might draw in the young 'uns, but at the same time, being an Oscar presenter used to be reserved for...esteemed actors.
10. Zac Efron to perform a musical number with Vanessa Hudgens - It's a teen sensation Oscar invasion! Efron's and Hudgens' fanbase are likely not even old enough to watch half of the Best Picture-nominated films; wasn't RPatz enough?
So...any WTF? moments for you?