I stumbled on an interesting update from Yahoo! Finance regarding the independent YouTube stars making over $100,000 a year.
As a recap, here is the Top 10 list:
1. Shane Dawson - $315,000. Shane has three YouTube channels: a comedy/parody channel, a vlog and "Ask Shane" series channel, and a channel containing Shane's videos taken from his iPhone.
2. The Annoying Orange - $288,000. The Annoying Orange (my personal favourite!) is a comedy series about talking-fruit-in-a-kitchen.
3. Philip DeFranco - $181,000. Philip hosts The Philip DeFranco Show, containing vlogs about various topics.
4. Ryan Higa - $151,000. Ryan's highlights are the "How to be Ganster" and "How to be Ninja" comedy videos. He has over 2 million subscribers to his channel.
5. Fred - $146,000. Fred ("a lonely six year old named Fred") is a character played by Lucas Cruikshank using his mom's video camera and post the videos on YouTube in a channel. The character is so popular, there will be a Nickelodeon movie based on the Fred character.
6. Shay Carl - $140,000. Shay is a radio DJ posting his comedies on YouTube.
7. Mediocre Films - $116,000. Created by Greg Benson, it is initially for a comedy TV series "Skip TV" now the channel contains low budget comedy videos.
8. Smosh - $113,000. Smosh is a comedy channel with over 1.7 million subscribers hosted by Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla.
9. The Young Turks - $112,000. It is a political talk show founded and hosted by Cenk Uygur that also airs on Sirius Satellite Radio.
10. Natalie Tran - $101,000. Natalie Tran (YouTube username: communitychannel) is a vlogger with occasional comedy gigs. Her channel is the most popular among all Australian.