As far as 30 Rock episodes go, I admittedly was of the EW minority that wasn't crazy about last week's "The Natural Order." But last night's "Mamma Mia" won me right back. C'mon, what other show could pull off turning "Mamma Mia" into a verb?! Besides Liz's unnatural joy about Jack's search for his father, which reminded her of that very "madcap musical romp...fun....good" movie, we also had Tracy playing dad to a con artist pretending to be his son (who wants nothing more than to open a dojo). We also had Steve Buscemi come back again this week to sufficiently weird us out, and Alan Alda was delightful, as usual, as Jack's likely ("Gasp. Feign surprise!") father Milton. Here, in chronological order, are the standout moments, lines, and impromptu sing-a-longs from last night's episode:
1. What family means to Jack: "Resent, guilt, anger, and Easter egg hunts that turn into knife fights."
2. "If I have learned anything from my Sims family, when a child doesn't see his father enough he starts to jump up and down, and then his mood level will drop until he pees himself."
3. Tracy making a faulty sidecar on a motorcycle for his dog.
4. Liz and Pete (more Hornberger, please!) trying to figure out Tracy's (and Samuel L. Jackson's) age:
5. Kenneth joining in for a rendition of "It Takes Two"
6. S & M magazines: Super & Magical!
7. "I will not be spoken to that way! I'm a contest winner!"
8. Milton ups the ante for shoe put-downs: "When is your cult committing suicide?"
9. Tracy may hug people too hard and get lost in malls, but hey, he's not stupid.
10. Tina's TONY cover.
What did you think, PopWatchers? Could you not resist last night's episode either? Or was Liz's fart train "a deal breaker, ladies?"
Photo courtesy of NBC.com