Summary: German gender-swapping magic leads to fanservice galore. Oh, and sometimes they fight too.
I put Kampfer on my list this season, but I honestly didn't expect too much out of it. I'm happy to say I was pleasantly surprised. Kampfer is a flawed but fun mix of action, comedy, romance and fanservice that, after A Certain Scientific Railgun, is my favorite show this season.
Kampfer is equal parts action, comedy, romance and fanservice. The action sequences feature animation that is fairly good, although not ground-breaking. The comedy is hilarious and varied, and managed to make me laugh several times each episode. The romantic scenes are fairly run-of-the-mill, although unique in the respect that, thanks to a misunderstanding, most of the school believes that the female Natsuru is dating the male Natsuru. This creates a very convoluted love triangle (or quadrangle). Finally, the fanservice is usually enjoyable, although sometimes a bit overwhelming.
The show has a few flaws, too. Some of the plot points can stretch credulity; for example, Natsuru using the same name in both his male and female forms. Here you have two individuals, both named Senou Natsuru, who have the same hair color, eye color, physical features and personality, and NOBODY realizes that they're the same person? He must be taking lessons from Clark Kent. Another problem is the overuse of fanservice, which comes to dominate the plots of the third and fourth episodes at the expense of showing any Kampfer fights. This was a disappointment for me, since the fight sequences are one of my favorite aspects of the series.
What I liked:
* Tons of fun. This show is one of the most enjoyable I've ever seen.
* Great art and character designs
* Likable characters across the board. Female Natsuru is particularly endearing... *blush*
What I didn't like:
* Some plot points can stretch credulity.
* Fanservice dominates the plots of the third and fourth episodes, at the expense of action.
* The ending dance is absolutely crazy... in that it looks like performing it would rupture your spine.