You all have an assignment.
Watch the trailers for the following upcoming 2009 romantic comedies - if you have not already seen them:
Bride Wars - Releases January 9th
New in Town - Releases January 30th
Confessions of a Shopaholic - Releases February 13th
The Ugly Truth - Releases April 3rd
The Proposal - Releases June 12th
All are embedded near the top of their respective pages under the "Featured Trailer" section.
Then, in comments, rank the movies in terms of how good they look/excited you are to see them.
My order is as follows (from worst to best):
5. Bride Wars - I like both leading actresses, but the concept of lifelong best friends that try to sabotage each others' weddings is not only implausible, but kind of depressing.
4. New in Town - Renee Zellweger is starting to lack that leading romantic comedy charm, in my eyes, and the "midwest is cold/icky" humor strikes me as a little thin.
3. The Ugly Truth - This movie strikes me as average, thus landing in the middle of my list. Nothing more than a hybrid of previous RomComs (How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days and Someone Like You come to mind), this movie strikes me as inoffensive, but nothing special (kind of how I feel about Katherine Heigl in general).
2. Confessions of a Shopaholic - I was skeptical that a movie about a girl that likes to shop might lack substance, but the trailer actually makes me chuckle. The movie looks pretty charming and they kind had me at their tagline of, "All she ever wanted was a little credit."
1. The Proposal - Too bad that this one isn't coming until June, because it appears to have all of the ingredients for a successful RomCom. Attractive and charming leads, cute plot, sure-to-be-included Canada and Alaska jokes, a good supporting cast (Betty White, Oscar from The Office, etc.), need I go on?
So now it's your turn. Rank 'em and discuss!