Now that it's in its 4th season, it is easy to identify which episodes of How I Met Your Mother have been standouts.
SideReel's Top 10 Favorites thus far:
1. The Pineapple Incident (1.10) - I liked HIMYM from the beginning, but I think it was this episode that secured the program as something special. This episode adopted the structure that has worked so well for Mother - having the gang piece back together a crazy incident after the fact. I also liked this episode because it's the first one where they ditch the kids at the beginning/end, which was getting a little formulaic. They also begin throwing in these awesome series-lasting mysteries, such as the pineapple.
2. Game Night (1.15) - This episode is great because it gives Barney something that makes him even more awesome: character depth. Who would have guessed that Barney was once a hippie in love?
3. Slap Bet (2.9) - A undeniable series classic. We are introduced to the multiple-season spanning slap bet and learn that Robin was once a teenage Canadian popstar! Complete with full length music video.
4. Something Blue (2.22) - In this game changing Season 2 Finale, we see the complete reverse of the end of Season 1. Marshall & Lily finally get married (with quite a few snafus in the way) and Ted & Robin break up.
5. How I Met Everyone Else (3.5) - Learning how the 'gang formed is always one of the best episodes of a sitcom. This one did not disappoint, and we also had the pleasure of becoming acquainted with Barney's Hot/Crazy scale (complete with Vicky Mendoza Diagonal) and the recurring concept of "eating a sandwich".
6. Slapsgiving (3.9) - Complete with a slap countdown website, this episode reminded us that nobody forgets about a Slap Bet!
7. Ten Sessions (3.13) - Whether you ended up liking Stella with Ted or not, you had to love the pacing of this episode where Ted tried to convince Stella to date him over the course of 10 tattoo removal sessions, culminating in the cutest 2-minute date you've ever seen. Oh yeah, Britney guest starred too..
8. The Bracket (3.14) - Season 3 was really on a roll with 2 gems in a row! Another creatively paced episode - this one capitalized on March Madness and divided New York into 4 brackets of women which Barney had to narrow down to a single girl that was trying to destroy him. Yet another episode with a hilarious accompanying website, tedmosbyisajerk.com.
9. Sandcastles in the Sand (3.16) - Any Robin Sparkles episode is a winner and this one featured a hilarious guest appearance by former Dawson's Creek star James Van Der Beek and a new music video, Sandcastles in the Sand. And don't forget the cameos from Tiffany and Robin Thicke!
10. Intervention (4.4) - My favorite episode of Season 4 (and the only one to make it on this list), I loved the flashbacks to all of the gang's various interventions in this episode, the best of course being the "Intervention Intervention".
So, what are your favorite episodes of How I Met Your Mother? Share in comments!