* 'Gossip Girl' was developed from the best-selling tween novels by Cecily von Ziegesar, a wealthy 38-year-old Manhattanite who bases her tales on her own Upper East Side upbringing.
* The anonymous Gossip Girl, whose arch, all-seeing blog stirs up simmering rivalries, is voiced by Kristen Bell, better known as Elle Bishop in 'Heroes'.
* The show is the brainchild of Josh Schwartz, the man behind 'The OC'.
* 'Gossip Girl' screens on CBS's new youth-orientated channel, The CW. It attracts a cultish average audience of 2.6 million, but many fans prefer to catch up online.
* The show is filmed entirely in New York. Locations include Madison Avenue's Palace Hotel, where Serena lives; it's owned by the billionaire father of Chuck who, naturally, has a penthouse suite. The boutique-y store Henri Bendel on Fifth Avenue is the only place to be seen shopping.
* Costume designer Eric Daman is acquiring the same mythical status as 'Sex and the City' stylist Patricia Field. Chanel, Ralph Lauren and Fendi are favourite labels. The show's website lists all the characters' clothes and accessories (with prices) per episode.
* The music is chosen by Alexandra Patsavas, who created 'The OC's distinctive soundtrack.
* Bad boy trustafarian Chuck Bass is played by Ed Westwick, a 21-year-old alumnus of the National Youth Theatre, from Stevenage.
* Screen couple Serena (Blake Lively) and Dan (Penn Badgley) are an item in real life.
* It's one of the most blogged-about shows, with websites devoted to stalking the cast as they shoot and gossip sites where real and fictional entanglements are updated by fans.